Highs and Lows of Youth Assembly 2010

I’m really sorry for the delay in getting this posted- I’ve been taking a well-deserved break for the last week! I’m not going to bore you with a blow by blow account of everything that happened over the weekend of Youth Assembly (I don’t think I’d have the space or the time!) so I’m going to share some of the highlights instead.

Favourite session;

The Saturday evening session using the electronic voting system (I really did think it was fab in case you hadn’t already guessed at the time!). I loved the fact it was quick and easy and so transparent.

Worst bit;

Having to drag myself out of bed at 6.30 on Saturday morning to fit in 2 radio interviews before the first session.

Favourite space;

The 24/7 worship room. I may be a bit biased as I helped to hang up the curtains in there but I loved that area and wish I’d had a chance to spend some time in there over the weekend.

Funniest moment;

The Welcome session I hosted with Jemima- we really didn’t know what we were doing (as if you couldn’t tell!), but have a good laugh when thing didn’t go as planned! Plus the jingles by Ross helped to lighten the mood!

Best worship moment;

In the Communion on Sunday morning singing “Trading my Sorrows”. The guys from the workshops leading the singing and dancing were so enthusiastic and it was really enjoyable. I also really liked the intimate atmosphere of the Communion on Friday night.


There were a number of resolutions that came out of Youth Assembly. You can find some of them by going to methodist.generous.org.uk but here are those going to Methodist Conference 2011;

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to affirm that sporting activity plays an important part in young people’s lives and encourages a healthy and holy lifestyle

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to appoint someone to promote and support sporting activities in churches, districts and across the wider connexion.

  • Youth assembly urges Conference to reinforce the efforts to make worship leader training more relevant and accessible to young people

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to encourage every circuit to included in its resources for ministry a commitment to providing specific support to people experiencing transitions and those impacted by drugs and mental health issues,

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to affirm its commitment to pay a living wage to young people aged 18- 21, and to clarify how much that living wage should be.

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to advocate for the UK wide implementation of the living wage by all Employers.

  • Youth assembly asks Conference to direct the Connexional team to facilitate and enable young people to lobby for fairer access to education including EMA and University fees.

Overall I found the weekend hard work but also really enjoyable. We’ve had loads of feedback already which is brill, but if you want to let me know your thoughts you can email me at

youthpresident@methodistchurch.org.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment